Thursday, September 15, 2011

Falls


In the past week, I have had three falls, which is concerning.  One was as I was getting off the bus, when I turned around to say goodbye to the bus driver and forgot to pay attention to my hands on my walker.  Another one was at a Storm game between where the usher took my walker and my seats.  The third one was on my way to Group Health to pick up some medication.  I overshot the bus stop where I was supposed to change buses.  I was in a rush, trying to make the connection.  Carol reminded me I can always wait for another bus.

I had been thinking, when I got to the point that I couldn’t use my walker, I would switch to a scooter.  My social worker told me the controls can be made less sensitive, so my movements wouldn’t be a problem.

Carol pointed out that I have a bit of disorientation that would get me into trouble faster, if I was moving faster.   She also said scooters require curb cuts, which aren’t universally out there.

I have stopped using the bus, since I can’t walk to the stops.  I am going to miss that independence.  Carol told my I qualify for the Access van, because I can’t use the regular bus.  I requested the paperwork, and it turns out to require two forms.  It is another bueurocracy that is going to take some time to navigate.  I understand the vans sometimes take a long time to arrive, since they pick up other people first.

My friend Dick is on an enviable trip to Italy, where he is in touch by email.  When I emailed him about stopping taking the bus, he responded that he is willing to negotiate rides to the gym together.  That is great, because I love getting my endorphins up.

I had to cancel my standing lunch with my friend Mary, because I’m not sure the Access van will be able to get me there close enough to her work schedule.  Fortunately, we also see each other at our monthly writing days.

The present moment is cool.

1 comment:

  1. What a challenge. I'm glad your falls didn't result in serious injury. By the way, your determination to continue leading an active life helped me make the decision to go to a Giants' game this week even though it meant having someone from Guest Services push me in a wheelchair to my seat. I was going to just skip the game, even though we had tickets, but I thought of you and went. (Had a great time!) So thanks for these blog posts.

    ReplyDelete